We are looking for a Principal Facial Animator with extensive experience developing keyframe and motion capture animations. As a Principal Animator, you will not simply animate; you will set the standard for animation excellence both on the game you work on as well as the studio you work at, leading by doing, inspiring by iterating and delivering by technical superiority.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Create both keyframe and mocap-driven facial animations that set the standard for character animation on both creatures and bipeds.
- Work with technical artists, technical animators, Character TD, character artists, and engineers to define tools, pipelines, and technology updates.
- Collaborate with the Animation Lead to set the standard for quality across the animation team
- Drive designers and character modelers to understand your vision for the character facial animation and how you want to bring it into life
- Define character animation at every stage, from concept to animatics and actual animations
WHO WE BELIEVE WILL BE A GOOD FIT:
- An animator passionate about working on industry-defining titles that push your abilities and define true-to-life characters and creatures.
- Impressive animation reel demonstrating strong animation ability.
- Exceptional understanding of facial animation for various types of emotions, complementing activities typical for the characters. Ability to analyze, capture, and reproduce these expressions.
- Advanced knowledge of Maya.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine.
- A keyframe specialist who loves the challenge of unique rigs and character designs.
- Degree in Computer Animation or related experience.
- 3+ years of experience working with keyframe or mocap animation in games or film.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of classic animation principles, body mechanics, acting, posing, and storytelling techniques.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively.
- Self-education related to animations and keeping track of new trends in the industry.
- Ability to set the vision and help to explain it both within the studio and across other studio locations.
- Communicative knowledge of English.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with motion capture, directing shoots, and processing the mocap data.
- At least two shipped AAA titles where animations you created helped to define the character and/or creature movement and abilities.
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tools (Hansoft, Jira, Shotgun, Trello, etc.).
WHO WE ARE:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity toBravely Createon big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create