What We Need:
We are looking for a Principal Facial Animator with extensive experience developing keyframe animations as well as working with Motion Capture animations. As a Principal Animator, you will not simply animate; you will set the standard for animation excellence both on the game you work on as well as the studio you work at, leading by doing, inspiring by iterating, and delivering by technical excellence.
What You Will Do:
- Create both keyframe and mocap driven facial animations that set the standard for character animation on both creatures and bipeds.
- Work with technical artists, technical animators, Character TD and engineers to define tools, pipeline, and technology updates.
- Collaborate with the Animation Lead to set the standard for quality across the animation team
- Drive designers and character modelers to understand your vision for the character animation and how you want to bring it into life
- Define character animation at every stage, from concept to animatics and to actual animations
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- An animator passionate about working on industry-defining titles that push your abilities and define true to life characters and creatures.
- Impressive animation reel demonstrating strong animation ability.
- Exceptional understanding of facial animation for various types of emotions, complementing activities of and typical for the characters. Ability to analyze, capture, and reproduce these expressions.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and/or Motion Builder.
- Comfortable working within studio developed engines and tools.
- A keyframe specialist who loves the challenge of unique rigs and character designs.
- Degree in Computer Animation or related experience.
- 3+ years of experience working with keyframe or mocap animation in games or film.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of classic animation principles, body mechanics, acting, posing, and storytelling techniques.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively.
- Ability to set the vision and help to explain it both within the studio and across other studio locations. Communicative knowledge of English.
Nice to Have:
- At least two shipped AAA titles where animations you created helped to define character and/or creature movement and abilities.
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tool (Hansoft, Jira, Shotgun, Trello, etc.).
- Knowledge of computer games.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia franchise. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!